The application works best in Google Chrome. You may experience some trouble with our portal if using other browsers.
Please see below for information about the documents you need in order to complete the process.
- A scanned copy of documentation stating your current immigration status, whether Permanent Resident, Protected Person, Convention Refugee, Provincial Nominee, or Canadian Citizen.
- If you are a Protected Person or Convention Refugee, you must have received your Notice of Decision within the last three years in order to qualify for our interest-free Refugee Loan Program.
- If you are a Provincial Nominee, please provide your letter of acceptance or confirmation or nomination from your province.
- We also need government-issued photo ID, so if your immigration document does not have a photo, please provide a driver’s license or health card.
- Copies of translated education certificates or assessments. These assessments may come from services such as WES, ICAS, IQAS, MIFI, or other recognized credential equivalency body if available.
- Your resume must include education and work experience from your home country and in Canada, even if your work experience in Canada hasn’t been in your field (eg. a survival job).
Proof of your financial situation
- Examples include pay stubs, a student funding letter, Employment Insurance information, confirmation of Income Support, or bank statements to prove savings.
- Proof of income for other members of your household who contribute to the household’s expenses, if possible.
- If your household receives Canada Child Benefits (CCB), please attach proof of those payments as well.
- As part of the application, you will be asked to provide your total monthly expenses and income. If you are unfamiliar with budget planning, please use our budget template to assist you.
- Please consider all types of expenses and all sources of income as you determine your monthly budget.
Living allowance information
- Living allowance for the duration of study will be considered on a case by case basis.
- If you are on provincial income support, a Windmill loan with living allowance could affect future income support amounts you receive. Please confirm with your case worker before applying.
Career Success Plan documents
- A letter of acceptance from the program or institution where you will be studying, if applicable. Otherwise, please include information about the courses or exams you plan on taking as part of your Career Success Plan.
- If you are applying for a loan to help you relocate for employment, please provide a letter of employment or labour market research.
- We require a void cheque or Direct Deposit Form from your bank in order to send your loan documents, if you are approved
- Note that this does not guarantee that your loan will be approved, and in the case that your loan is not approved, we will remove your bank document from our system
In order to complete your online application, it will help to have the following information in front of you:
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN), which is not required but helps to ensure accuracy when we pull your credit report
- Costs associated with your Career Success Plan (i.e. the courses, exams, or other programs you need to pay for)
- Financial information regarding any houses, cars, or other assets that you own
- Contact information for at least one emergency contact. This can be someone in your household or a close friend.