Refugee Loan Program
Windmill Microlending is dedicated to helping newcomers succeed in Canada’s job market. Windmill achieves this by providing microloans of up to $15,000 for the costs of the licensing or training they need to restart their careers in Canada.
Convention Refugees and Protected Persons can apply for Windmill’s interest-free Refugee Loan Program, as long as they apply within three years from the time they have attained refugee status in Canada.
Please note that refugee claimants are not eligible at this time.
Windmill’s Refugee Loan Program is unique:
- Convention Refugees and Protected Persons do not pay interest
- Interest is being paid by the generosity of community donors
- We can lend to people with low income
- Application process is quick
- Collateral is not required
- Credit history in Canada is not required
- Repayment terms are newcomer-friendly
Windmill loans are approved on the strength of the applicant’s character, the strength of their career development or learning plan, and their financial history.
Loans may be used for:
- Education and training programs of two years or less, including courses to help you advance your career
- Fees for licensing and qualifying exams
- Living allowance during a period of study
- Credentials assessments, like ones from WES, ICAS, IQAS, or MIFI
- English or French language training as a pre-requisite for the rest of your learning plan
- Relocation costs for employment
- Travel expenses to take courses or write exams which are unavailable in your area
- Books, course materials, and work equipment
- Professional association fees
- Other costs related to restarting your career may be considered
You are required to make minimum monthly payments while you are completing your licensing/learning plan (to a maximum of two years). These will be $10, $25, or $40 per month, depending on how much you borrow.
You will have to start making larger principal payments within 90 days if you:
- Find employment in your field
- Complete your licensing/learning plan, or
- Decide not to continue with your licensing/learning plan
As with standard Windmill loans, borrowers will be registered with Equifax to begin building their credit history in Canada. Click here to learn more about our loan terms and conditions.
Learn more about our eligibility requirements.