Refugee Loan Program
Windmill Microlending is dedicated to helping newcomers succeed in Canada’s job market. Windmill achieves this by providing microloans of up to $15,000 for the costs of the licensing/training they need to work in their field in Canada.
Convention refugees and protected persons from anywhere in the world can apply for Windmill’s no-interest Refugee Loan Program, as long as they apply within three years from the time they have attained refugee status in Canada.
Please note that refugee claimants are not eligible at this time.
Windmill’s Refugee Loan Program is unique:
- Convention refugees and protected persons do not pay interest
- Interest is being paid by the generosity of community donors
- We can lend to people with low income
- Application process is quick
- Collateral is not required
- Credit history in Canada is not required
- Repayment terms are newcomer-friendly
Windmill loans are character-based. Loans are approved on the strength of the applicant’s character and strength of their career development or learning plan.
Loans may be used for:
- Education and training programs of two years or less
- Fees for licensing and qualifying exams
- Travel expenses to take courses or write exams which are unavailable in your area
- Assessment of qualifications
- Fees for professional associations
- Books, supplies and other course materials
- Living allowance during study time (if you need to quit your job or reduce your hours during study time)
- Other costs related to restarting your career may be considered
You have up to four years to pay back your loan. Generally, your payments will be a set of minimum payments while you are completing your licensing/learning plan (to a maximum of two years). Your payments will increase once you find employment or two years after your loan is received.
As with standard Windmill loans, borrowers will be registered with Equifax to begin building their credit history in Canada. Click here to learn more about our loan terms and conditions.
Learn more about our eligibility requirements.